If you’re interested in how to identify COVID super spreader events, then this article was written with you in mind. We will discuss how to evaluate events like these in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
So if you wish to get back to the ‘old normal’ quickly and thwart the possibility of mass infection, it would be worth considering the information we have to offer.
COVID Super Spreader Defined
A super spreader event is basically a situation when a highly infectious individual transmits the COVID-19 virus to many others. Scientists can’t point out what causes a significant number of people to be easily infected with the virus. Likewise, they also can’t identify which person infected with COVID-19 is to be classified as a “super spreader”
But one thing’s for certain and that is the possibility of infecting a large number of people will increase if the highly contagious person is attending a group event or mass gathering.
Understanding How COVID-19 Spreads
According to research, super spreader events happen because of the presence of these 3 ‘V’s:
Venue – People are placed indoors where physical distancing is no longer possible.
Ventilation – Multiple individuals are situated in an area where fresh air is limited.
Vocalization – People are engaged with lots of talking, singing, or yelling which can effectively aerosolize the COVID-19 virus.
So does this mean intimate events are safer than going to crowded gatherings? Not necessarily because even small gatherings can pose a COVID-19 transmission risk if those who are attending come from different households with various exposure profiles. Even meeting just a few of your friends or peers who don’t live in the same house with you can already make you vulnerable (or them, if you don’t know you’re a carrier because you’re asymptomatic) to coronavirus infection.
How To Gather And Celebrate Safely
Whether you are the host or guest of the event, staying proactive is always your best defense. So what you need to do is to be updated with the latest developments with the COVID-19 pandemic in general as well as the cases in your area so you can make informed decisions.
But if you are going to host an outdoor event with numerous attendees, then we recommend you to consider hiring field staffing experts like Xperienced.com.au so you can limit the number of people coming in through their Marshalls who underwent COVID Marshall training.
Aside from that, here are other tips we can share so you can gather with friends and family this COVID-19 pandemic:
- Communicate with the guests in advance and inform them to limit their contact with people outside their households at least 14 days beforehand. Also, remind them to observe proper protocols during the scheduled event.
- Minimize noise by encouraging everybody to refrain from singing or shouting. And keep the music volume down (especially indoors) so guests don’t have to speak loudly.
- Prepare extra face masks, alcohol, hand sanitizers, and stock your bathrooms with liquid soap and disposable towels.
- Limit people around high-traffic areas and assign 2-3 persons to serve food and drinks to avoid people from crowding into the table and drink stations.
- Place touchless garbage bin in specific locations and most importantly toss the trash, disinfect the venue, and clean thoroughly as you go.